When you walk in all the fairy boys are very nervous... [015]


Stuck in my head: "Hot One"
Shudder to Think
Soundtrack for the film Velvet Goldmine


~^v*v^~

It's been just about six weeks since my last entry.

It's not that i didn't want to write; honestly, I'd been so overwhelmed that I just got frozen in place. Even now, I realize that a lot of the goings-on will either be briefly recounted here or just lost in time. I'd intended several longer entries, and maybe I'll get to them some day, but for now I suppose a data dump will have to suffice.

That said...

I.

I'm having some flashbacks to the spring of 2003. I'd been laid off from my job and for the first time since moving to the northwest, and I finally had time to look around. I'd cycle from extreme nocturnalism and extreme diurnalism and go for these ridiculously long walks, like fifteen miles a day. Many of the old photos I snapped on my one-megapixel camera are of things that no longer exist...

The thing I remember the most was the freedom...

The second thing I remember was the "Coffee Blonde Girl". She was an employee of GiantCoffeeCorp and flirting with me super hard early one morning as I was headed to Discovery Park for the first time. It didn't dawn on me until I'd driven away! I turned around, walked in, and she was gone. I came by the next day, two days later, a week after that - I never saw her again.

I never forgot you, Coffee Blonde Girl.

The weather lately is very similar to that spring. How many more Aprils will I have like this? I don't know...


II.

I bought tickets for us to see Slowdive. We both had dreamed they'd reunite and in 2014, they got back together, released an album, and went on tour.

You passed out drunk and never made it.

It was an incredible show... and I think our already fragile friendship sustained a fissure that never fully healed.


III.

I was early for my dentist appointment so I rolled through the QFC near the Milkbar for the first time in a few years. They used to be open all night and would carry Mighty Leaf tea, who made my favorite Earl Grey.

Well, they didn't have it... and a cursory glance shows that they were acquired by Peet's Coffee.

I was pretty taken aback. Saddened, really. Mighty Leaf had been a part of my daily routine for years and now it was just... gone. Well... not gone, at least not quite yet. I ordered some from the Peet's web site, though they are curiously out of stock on many things. I'm not sure if they're reducing their stock, or if it's supply chain issues due to it being weird around this mufucka lately, or...

Anyway, it arrived, and I fired up the original mug:


The old mug - 26 ounces of fun. Many a morning at the old job would find me preparing the perfect and proper cup of tea. Earl Grey. Hot. The day I got hired at my current gig, I put the mug on my desk.

"What does that mean?" my new boss asked.
"It means he's not going anywhere for a long, long time," she replied, having been a coworker at the old job and knowing full well the power of the original mug.

Blonde Girlfriend would remember it, too. I was with her when I bought it way back in 2007.

The things you take care of, take care of you... and I keep the things that matter.


IV.

We were supposed to go across the pass into Eastern Washington, and not only did it snow at the last minute, there was a major collision that closed the eastbound lanes until 9pm. Had we gone, we could have been in that wreck, or at the very least, stuck way, way beyond when we needed to return.

Instead, we drove around talking about records. Mr. Eye, The Doctor, and I... we're going to make some good music pretty soon. We may have even picked out a new name.

I got that god damned Mesa amp, too. The seller was a pretty nice kid, and someone I'd be friends with if he didn't live in fucking Idaho. He's an RN and doing "The Lord's Work", poor guy.


V.

My therapist says I take too much blame for stuff, and that I try to force friendships where there had existed no foundation for it before, and that it's okay to let go, especially when after letting people walk all over me with their shit attitudes and I finally put up a boundary and say "no more" and they lose their shit over it.

I'm working on it.


VI.

The NFL Draft is this week.

Never before has there been an off-season where I have been so put off by other Seahawks fans. Y'all are a buncha fucking homers for the wrong programs. If it were up to you, the Seahawks would be full of huskies and cougs, but those programs don't know SHIT about football. Oregon is the premiere team in this conference (which is only three-quarters of a real conference, at best) and I wouldn't want to draft many of those fools, either. Y'all should just...


via GIPHY


VII.

I'm hoping for a quieter week at work. It had been nuts lately and I could use a break.

I also want to pick up a copy of Watchmen - with the mood I've been in lately, it sounds right up my alley.

Hope y'all are well... I need a shower.



Comments