Anyway... [022]


Stuck in my head: "The Letter"
The Box Tops
The Heart Breakers and Tear Jerkers Collection (UK)




It's taken me six hours to locate the history behind the version of "The Letter" that I have in my downloads folder. Apparently, Box Tops' singer Alex Chilton re-recorded the single in 1976 with session musicians behind him. This version of "The Letter" and "Cry Like a Baby" were apparently released on a Pickwick Startrax compilation called The Heart Breakers and Tear Jerkers Collection for the UK.

May you never find yourself getting into obscure singles and various versions of said oscurities... not that I think you will... most people don't... because your taste in music is shit.


~^v*v^~


If you have the means, please donate to help the families of Uvalde, Texas, whose children were the viction of a foul shooting. You can make a donation via LULAC at https://lulac.org/victimsfund.

Thank you.

~^v*v^~


You need a nickname for this blog. You've become a larger part of my life since we've reconnected, so you need to be a main character, here, and all the mains get a funny name so they can be referenced but not outed.

I looked up the etymology of your last name, and... no.

College mascot? It was one thing while you were there, it's another now, and both were equally "meh". Hard pass.

For the longest time, I had our last photo together and your last love letter to me in a secure box. I guess I always wanted to make sure I remembered you, remembered what you meant to me, and remember that at some point in my life I could feel something so deep, so great, so fully...

I just sent you a text with this link...




"There is no mystery to be revealed
And so we tell the truth and then run
I love you because I love you
And I did think that you were the one..."


I have't seen you since we were fifteen. I'll see you again in two months from now. To say that I'm nervous would be an understatement.

What do I expect it will be like? I expect it will feel like... home.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxaBGcWftdxxE1525AZ-09sEPz4EcAG7Vh

Anyway... I'm waxing poetic. I've always gotten attached. It's what I do.


~^v*v^~


I've decided something:


Before I went home last year in preparation for the road trip, I found a good Tele on the local forums. I reached out to the seller, exchanged phone numbers, and let him know I'd be down in a few months to take a look at the guitar. However within a few weeks, the listing disappeared. I figured he'd sold it so I let go of the notion of picking up the guitar, and bought a Stratocaster instead.

A few months later, the listing re-appeared. Maybe he'd decided to keep it and then... sell it again?

I'm headed home again in August and the listing is there yet again. It's the same person because the phone number matches, so... what the hell, exactly?

The whole area has a population of 1.3 million over four counties; San Antonio, in Bexar County alone, has a population of 1.5 million. The local craigslist has a combined total of 238 musical instrument listings; San Antonio has 829; Austin has 2640 and Seattle has an even 3000 listings as of this writing.

Seattle is NOT a big city, with a 2020 population of 741,251, and Austin outweighing it at 965,872.

I'd sent you a text on Friday exclaiming my surprise:

seriously, that dude has been trying to sell the telecaster for over a year. i was gonna buy it from him last time, but he had pulled the listing.
gonna pick it up if he still has it in august.


Something tells me he will still have it in august lol

gear sales in
[NOWHERE] is super weird. for an area with as many people as it has, there are surprisingly few musical equipment listings.
it
[does] highlight why i left in the first place, however. it's kinda sad.


That is sad... and you're right, the area isn't known for those goods. Oh, but you'd find gun shops everywhere.


I can't believe that all these years later, back home still hasn't caught up with this. It justifies my decision to leave... and that's a terrible fact.


~^v*v^~


Nickname, nickname...

"Bette"?



"Catherine"?



It'll come to me in time. In the meantime, just know that I'm looking forward to August. I'm coming home.

"It justifies it all..."



Comments